Skip navigation
The Australian National University

What can I recycle on campus?

Basic recycling of paper, cardboard and comingled materials is available in most buildings on campus. See below for details on how to recycle more specialised items.

Building Custodians are responsible for organising specialised recycling in your building. They can do this by contacting If you work or study in a building which doesn't recycle a specific type of waste, contact your Building Custodian.

Please note that dumping of waste on campus can incur penalties up to $1000. Much larger fines are given for dumping waste which causes injury. Please help the University manage waste by recycling responsibly.

Basic recycling


Paper can be placed in either under-desk recycling boxes or the 2 wheeled 240L blue paper bins, which are usually located close to printers. All grades of paper can be placed in these bins (including newspapers and glossy paper). Staples do not need to be removed.

Do not put cardboard or any forms of plastic, including ring binders and plastic sleeves into these bins.


Cardboard can be recycled in the large 4 wheeled 1100L blue bins. Look outside your building for a cardboard bin. Remember to flatten your cardboard.

Comingled glass, plastic and aluminium

Glass and plastic bottles, aluminium cans, and rigid plastic packaging/containers can be put in comingled recycling bins within buildings and the yellow-lid bins in the landscape.

Specialised recycling

Batteries, mobile phones, laptops and small electronics

E-waste bins are located in the Anthony Low building. Contact for the list of e-waste that can be recycled.

Toner cartridges and photocopier bottles

Boxes for toner cartridges and photocopier bottles are found in most work or study areas. Building Custodians should apply directly to Close the Loop or Cart Collect if they need a toner cartridge recycling box.

Computers, monitors and other large electronic devices

Email to find out where on campus you can recycle hazardous waste including fluorescent tubes, HID lamps, PCB capacitors and EPIRBS.

Breakage or spillage of hazardous materials is dangerous. Notify your Building Custodian for advice on cleanup and disposal. DO NOT attempt to clean up hazardous waste without approval to do so and appropriate safeguards.

Bulk steel

Building Custodians can contact arrange for collection of bulk steel. Furniture items with considerable steel component can be included.

Wooden pallets

Building Custodians can contact to arrange for collection of wooden pallets.

Demolition and construction waste

A large proportion of construction and demolition waste can be recycled if it is sorted properly from the beginning. Please refer to the ACT Handbook and contact the Project Delivery section of Facilities and Services Division for more advice.


Contact to arrange for collection.


Wooden furniture may have heritage significance. Before disposal seek advice of the Heritage Officer.

Other types of furniture may be suitable for reuse by other staff or students. Advertise available furniture by posting a picture and brief description of the item on ANU Billboard.


Polystyrene is not recycled on campus however Expanded Polystyrene Australia has a drop-off centre in Hume, ACT.

Updated:  12 December 2016/Responsible Officer:  Director, Facilities & Services Division/Page Contact:  Systems & Information Technology